Sunday 17 July 2022

Insoles Can Help With Stinky Feet In Work Boots (Here’s How)

I know the feeling when the work boots start to smell like cat pee or something similar to ammonia. Been there, done that!

My feet were so stinky that my wife would take me by the hand straight into the shower when I was coming home from a long day at work lol.

THAT bad my feet were stinking before I started to buy a few good insoles for my feet and started to swap between them every week.

showing the multiple insoles I wear with work boots in order to avoid stinky feet.

Why should you do this?

Many people like myself working in the construction industry have at least two pairs of work boots. There are a few reasons for that and one of them has to do with rotating the boots in order to avoid becoming stinky.

1. Save money

Not everybody can afford to buy more than one pair of work boots. That’s why instead of spending money on a second pair of work boots (which I recommend) you spend less money and get yourself two or three pairs of insoles.

Having a few pairs of insoles will help you achieve the same result as having more than one pair of work boots when it comes to avoiding stinky feet.

2. Health reasons

Also, having clean insoles will help with having healthier feet in the long run. Washing your insoles will kill bacteria and fungus that might be building inside your boots.

How do I do it?

I use one pair of insoles per week. When I wear work boots in summer things can get pretty nasty so I can change my insoles every 2-3 days.

As soon as I change the insoles I wash them in the sink or in a small tub by hand and leave them to dry. That’s it really. It became a habit at this point and you should take it seriously as well if you really want to avoid stinky feet.

Can’t you wash the insoles in the washing machine?

You could but it depends on the brand of your insole. Some of them can’t go into the washing machine because the material they’re made of might get damaged and that will be throwing money into the bin.

Look at your insole’s packaging to see any information related to this.

the label on my dr Scholl insoles giving instructions on how to wash the insole.

I simply wash them by hand. It really doesn’t take more than 5 minutes.

Also, in my opinion, washing your insoles in the washing machine won’t have the same effect as washing them by hand using the nylon brush to really get into the material and scrub all that sweat and dirt out of the insole.

What do you need in order to wash your insoles?

You probably have most of these things at home. Here’s the list of items I’m using:

  • any general dishwashing soap
  • a nylon brush
  • a bawl of warm water
  • a rubbing alcohol spray

Sometimes I use bleach instead of soap but you might not like the smell of bleach in your boots since it’s quite strong. So use whatever you prefer, it won’t that much of a difference really.

I’m using the rubbing alcohol at the end, after washing the insoles, to make sure I’m killing all the bacteria and fungus that might live on the surface of the insole.

Then I simply leave the insoles to dry naturally on the balcony. They should be dry for the next time I need to swap them with the dirty ones.

Last words

I’m sharing this with you because most of my working life I’ve been dealing with stinky feet and I didn’t know what to do.

I was throwing away good work boots because the stink was so strong I could not get it out of the boot’s material anymore until I started to experiment with different things such as the one I’ve shared with you here.

There are a few more things I’ve heard about that can help with getting rid of the stink inside work boots so I’ll try those myself and then I come back and share them here with you.

Go ahead and give this a try and let me know how it goes for you.

By the way, do you have another way to do it? Please share with us in the comments below what other things you did that helped get rid of the stink in your work boots.


Team Members Working On This Page

Victor Adrian – Editor And Webmaster

Construction Professional, driver, crane operator, cleaner, head chef … these are just some of the jobs I did in the past. Working in all these different environments taught me that having good footwear to protect your feet from different dangers at work IS PARAMOUNT for any worker! On this website, I aim to share all my knowledge and personal experience in dealing with different footwear and foot care issues, and hopefully, you can get something out of it. Enjoy!

Jessica Flynn
Jessica Flynn – Writer And Researcher

Love technology, going to the beach, taking care of my body, and writing (amongst other things). You’ll see my face around here a little bit since I’m responsible for part of the research and writing of some of the articles you’re reading on BestForMyFeet.com. I hope you’ll find our content helpful and enjoyable! See you around, thanks for reading!



source https://bestformyfeet.com/insoles-can-help-with-stinky-feet/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brunt Versus Thorogood work boots: Here’s What You Need To Know

With Brunt Footwear gaining more and more traction, some of you looking into buying a new pair of work wanted to know how these two brands c...